Wednesday 28 December 2011

Short Story : That Dark Day

This story is written during SPM Trial English - paper 1. This story is the most interesting story that I ever wrote during examination. This is the best among the best. I share with you all, the darkness of my imagination.


That Dark Day


Have you ever see your beloved friends die one by one in front of you? Have you ever wondered how it feels like to see them dying while you just stand there in the corner watching and doing nothing? I do not think you do but if you are there, what will you do?

A month had passed but for some reason I felt like it was only yesterday that I saw them, having fun with them and watching them slowly leave me. A month full of despair and regrets. I had never leaved my room and when I was at school, I became the most silent person ever. All I could think of were all about them. I could not think of anything else but then. I keep on asking myself ‘Why’, ‘How’ and ‘Why’ again and again. I just could not let them go.

            My dark days started one month ago when all of my classmates decided to go on a camping trip near the river of ‘Hutan Air Madu’. It was a very exciting trip since that was the first time that all of us went camping together. The camping was organized by our own school in conjunction with another two schools but it was not my school that decided the camping site. My school was in charged with the transportation only

            When we arrived at the camping site, we were all happy. We met new friends and laughed like there was no tomorrow. The boys were busy setting up the tents while the girls prepared the dinner. After doing the entire task given, we were free to do any activities the we like. Many of the students decided to go to the river but only ne and my friends decided to do something else.

            Actually, I wanted to stay at the camp site reading books or helping the teachers but my friends, Fisya, Kamal, Hafiz, Aimi and Aidil asked me to join them to have fun at the waterfalls which is about five kilometers away from our camp site. I hesitated. I told them that I did not want to go and told them the risk of going there. Everyone knew that the trail to the waterfalls was dangerous and the teacher had already warned us. I pursued them not to go there but they did not listen. Fisya and Aimi then grabbed my arm. They pulled me to join then. I told them I did not want to go but they kept pushing me until there was no turning back

            The trail to the waterfalls was filled with leaches and weird insects. I kept on telling them to go back to the camp but they did not listen. Hafiz told me that there was nothing for me to worry about since he had gone there like so many times. I tried to believe his words but inside I had mix feelings. My brain said ‘go’ but my feelings said otherwise. I could not turn back anymore since I did not know where am I. so I just kept quiet and followed them and I was really angry at myself.

            Half an hour later, we finally arrived at the waterfalls. I was speechless. The scenery took my breath away. It was such beautiful scenery until it made me forgot about my uneasy feeling. My friends had already jumped into the pool. Aimi suddenly pushed me into the pool. The water was fresh and cool. We had fun together playing with the water until we forgot that it was time to head back.

            I suddenly felt something. Something cold when I was in the water. It was an uncertain feeling and I knew that something was telling me to stay out of the water. All of them saw me leaving the pool. Everyone was asking me to enter the pool back. And when I turn around, facing them, I saw something different than before.

The pool was dirtied with dead animals. The trees surrounding it were dead; some of the trees looked terribly horrible. The waterfall was not as beautiful as I had seen it before. The scenery changed to something scary. I could feel the cold on my back. I was horrified. My friends, who were unnoticed by the situation, asked me why I looked so scared. It shocked me as I realized that my friends were still blinded by the beauty of the scenery. Then, I started to feel something much worse than this.

Before I could say anything, I saw something lurching behind Fisya’s back. I screamed and Fisya suddenly being dragged to the center of the pool. Everyone was shocked and only Aidil who was the only tried to swim and tried to save her. But, suddenly Aidil shouted as he could not move his leg. Something grabbed his leg. I saw in horror seeing both of them screaming for help. Then, I saw Aimi run away. I screamed to her to stop since I saw her running towards the waterfall. I told her to stop but she did not listen.

I closed my eyes really hard thinking that it was just a dream. But it was not a dream. It was a nightmare. I suddenly heard Kamal and Hafiz screaming my name. I tried to open my eyes but I was too scared. I ran away back to the trees and when I turned my back, I saw them screaming for help. They were drowning. I could not do anything else because I was too scared. I stood there, tears streaming down my cheeks...

1 comment: